$28.00 / bottle
$285.60 / case (12)
The fruit for the Hedonist Tempranillo is sourced from our Willunga foothills estate vineyard & an iconic vineyard from Kangarilla’s sandy soils, a relatively cooler site within McLaren Vale. Certified organic/biodynamic.
McLaren Vale experienced a wet winter, but also a mild spring and summer. This created superb ripening conditions from fruit set and flowering through veraison and ripening. Yields, however, were slightly down across the board. 2021 was touted ‘the best quality vintage so far this century’, but 2022 will give it a run for its money. A civilised vintage created a relaxed picking environment and enabled an ideal balance of sugar ripeness, natural acidity, and texture in the resulting wines.
Traditionally vinified in open top fermenters with indigenous yeast and minimal additions. Fermented for 12 days. Malolactic fermentation took place in stainless steel prior to maturation in older 300L French oak for seven months. Seasoned oak was selected for its minimal oak influence to keep the wine fresh and retain primary fruit characteristics.
- Light, bright cherry red
Earthy, truffles with some red berries and cherriesPALATE
Driven by crunchy acidity and superfine, chalky tannins, which give rise to a stony, savoury and lengthy palate. This wine begs to be enjoyed with a wide array of cuisines.
- Tempranillo 100%
- HARVEST DATE
- 7 & 23 March 2022
- OAK TREATMENT
- 7 months in older 300L French Oak Hogs Heads
- Alc: 13.5%, pH: 3.66, TA: 5.4g/L, GF: 0.75g/L
- 24 November 2022
2020 Hedonist Tempranillo
- TROPHY WINNER - Tony Mangan Memorial Award for Best Organic Wine of the show at the 2020 Australian Alternative Varieties Wine Show (AAVWS)
2019 Hedonist Tempranillo
- 90 points - therealreview.com, Huon Hooke, 13 Dec 2019
Very deep, bold purple/red colour, with pungent violet, blueberry and cranberry aromas, the palate fresh and bright, raw and primal, with an almost carbonic maceration or Beaujolais-like overtone. Excellent wine albeit in a rather raw, callow style.
2018 Hedonist Tempranillo
- 95 points - Wine Companion 2020 Edition, Jane Faulkner, 01 Aug 2019
“A terrific tempranillo that offsets its juicy red fruit profile against layers of savouriness. It's vibrant with cherry cola, fresh tobacco, red licorice and all manner of baking spices before crunchy acidity and killer tannins take off. Impressive from go to whoa.”
- Gold medal - Australian Alternative Varieties Wine Show 2018
2017 Hedonist Tempranillo
- Bronze medal - Australian Alternative Varieties Wine Show 2017
2015 Hedonist Tempranillo
- 94 points - Wine Companion 2018 Edition, James Halliday, 01 Aug 2017
"Includes 4% grenache, open-fermented, pumped over twice daily, 10-day ferment, pressed to used French hogsheads for 10 months maturation. Although the vines are young (7yo), this suggests the site has great potential. There is truly lovely cherry fruit on the fresh light to medium-bodied palate thanks in part to the controlled alcohol; the finish has gently savoury tannins that tie the parcel up ever so neatly."
2014 Hedonist Tempranillo
- 92 Points, The Advertiser, Tony Love - Top 100 (2016)
- Silver medal - Australian Alternative Varieties Wine Show 2015
- NEW Hi Res-bottle image
- Hi-Res bottle image
- Tasting notes (2022 vintage)
- Tasting notes (2021 vintage)
- Tasting notes (2020 vintage)
- Tasting notes (2019 vintage)
- Tasting notes (2018 vintage)
- Tasting notes (2017 vintage)
- Tasting notes (2015 vintage)
- Tasting notes (2014 vintage)
- Tasting notes (2012 vintage)