$27.00 / bottle
$275.40 / case (12)
Crafted from a blend of Tempranillo from our estate fruit in the Willunga foothills and Kangarilla, a relatively cooler site. Certified organic and biodynamic.
Tony Mangan Memorial Award for Best Organic Wine of the show at the 2020 Australian Alternative Varieties Wine Show (AAVWS)
2020 was a vintage of quality over quantity. The season began with good winter rainfall, followed by a mild start to spring. However, the total rainfall was below average for the third year in a row. Summer started with intense heat in mid-late December. Fortunately, the rest of the season was cooler than average with some late rain in the season, which enabled the vines to recover from the early heat and ripen seamlessly. Yields were slightly down across the district, but fruit quality was of a high standard, despite the early challenges. While catastrophic bushfires ravaged the country, McLaren Vale remained free from smoke taint.
Traditionally vinified in open top fermenters with indigenous yeast and minimal additions. Two parcels were fermented for 12 and 23 days respectively, with approximately 10% whole bunch. Malolactic fermentation took place in stainless steel prior to maturation in older 300L French oak for six months. Seasoned oak was selected for its minimal oak influence to keep the wine fresh and retain primary fruit characteristics.
- Dark cherry red with purple hues
- Attractive nose of cedar and clove, plush red berries – primary fruits at the fore.
Medium bodied, savoury and balanced with fine, mouth-watering, chalky tannins.
- AGE OF VINES
- 12 years
- Tempranillo 100%
- OAK TREATMENT
- Matured for 6 months in seasoned 300L French Oak Hogs Heads for minimal oak influence
- Alc: 13.5%, pH: 3.83, TA: 5.4g/L, GF: 0.13g/L
- 30 September 2020
2020 Hedonist Tempranillo
- TROPHY WINNER - Tony Mangan Memorial Award for Best Organic Wine of the show at the 2020 Australian Alternative Varieties Wine Show (AAVWS)
2019 Hedonist Tempranillo
- 90 points - therealreview.com, Huon Hooke, 13 Dec 2019
Very deep, bold purple/red colour, with pungent violet, blueberry and cranberry aromas, the palate fresh and bright, raw and primal, with an almost carbonic maceration or Beaujolais-like overtone. Excellent wine albeit in a rather raw, callow style.
2018 Hedonist Tempranillo
- 95 points - Wine Companion 2020 Edition, Jane Faulkner, 01 Aug 2019
“A terrific tempranillo that offsets its juicy red fruit profile against layers of savouriness. It's vibrant with cherry cola, fresh tobacco, red licorice and all manner of baking spices before crunchy acidity and killer tannins take off. Impressive from go to whoa.”
- Gold medal - Australian Alternative Varieties Wine Show 2018
2017 Hedonist Tempranillo
- Bronze medal - Australian Alternative Varieties Wine Show 2017
2015 Hedonist Tempranillo
- 94 points - Wine Companion 2018 Edition, James Halliday, 01 Aug 2017
"Includes 4% grenache, open-fermented, pumped over twice daily, 10-day ferment, pressed to used French hogsheads for 10 months maturation. Although the vines are young (7yo), this suggests the site has great potential. There is truly lovely cherry fruit on the fresh light to medium-bodied palate thanks in part to the controlled alcohol; the finish has gently savoury tannins that tie the parcel up ever so neatly."
2014 Hedonist Tempranillo
- 92 Points, The Advertiser, Tony Love - Top 100 (2016)
- Silver medal - Australian Alternative Varieties Wine Show 2015