$27.00 / bottle
$275.40 / case (12)
The fruit for the Hedonist Tempranillo is estate grown on our biodynamically run vineyard situated in the Willunga foothills, McLaren Vale.
A very dry winter and spring, coupled with record heat and dry conditions throughout summer led to an early and condensed vintage. Yields were only slightly down on previous years despite the challenges associated with low rainfall in the growing season. January was Australia’s warmest on record. McLaren Vale experienced record heat – 46.2 degrees Celsius on the 24 January. The conditions lent themselves to smaller berries with good concentration of flavour.
Traditionally vinified in open top fermenters with indigenous yeast and minimal additions. 2 separate parcels were fermented for between 8-13 days on skins, with approximately 8% whole bunch. Pressed to tank for malolactic fermentation, prior to maturation which took place in older 300L French oak for 6 months. Seasoned oak was selected for its minimal oak influence to keep the wine fresh and retain primary fruit characteristics.
- Dark cherry red with purple hues
- Red and blue fruits, pink musk, earthy notes and Christmas spices.
Savoury with loads of texture. Sour cherry and cranberry at the fore. Pink musk and earthy undertones follow. Crunchy, bright acid and firm tannins keep it fresh.
- AGE OF VINES
- 11 years
- Tempranillo 100%
- OAK TREATMENT
- Matured for 6 months in seasoned 300L French Oak Hogs Heads for minimal oak influence
- Alc: 13.5%, pH: 3.78, TA: 5.8g/L, GF: 0.17g/L
2019 Hedonist Tempranillo
- 90 points - therealreview.com, Huon Hooke, 13 Dec 2019
Very deep, bold purple/red colour, with pungent violet, blueberry and cranberry aromas, the palate fresh and bright, raw and primal, with an almost carbonic maceration or Beaujolais-like overtone. Excellent wine albeit in a rather raw, callow style.
2018 Hedonist Tempranillo
- 95 points - Wine Companion 2020 Edition, Jane Faulkner, 01 Aug 2019
“A terrific tempranillo that offsets its juicy red fruit profile against layers of savouriness. It's vibrant with cherry cola, fresh tobacco, red licorice and all manner of baking spices before crunchy acidity and killer tannins take off. Impressive from go to whoa.”
- Gold medal - Australian Alternative Varieties Wine Show 2018
2017 Hedonist Tempranillo
- Bronze medal - Australian Alternative Varieties Wine Show 2017
2015 Hedonist Tempranillo
- 94 points - Wine Companion 2018 Edition, James Halliday, 01 Aug 2017
"Includes 4% grenache, open-fermented, pumped over twice daily, 10-day ferment, pressed to used French hogsheads for 10 months maturation. Although the vines are young (7yo), this suggests the site has great potential. There is truly lovely cherry fruit on the fresh light to medium-bodied palate thanks in part to the controlled alcohol; the finish has gently savoury tannins that tie the parcel up ever so neatly."
2014 Hedonist Tempranillo
- 92 Points, The Advertiser, Tony Love - Top 100 (2016)
- Silver medal - Australian Alternative Varieties Wine Show 2015