$27.00 / bottle
$275.40 / case (12)
Fruit sourced from Kangarilla, a relatively cooler site in McLaren Vale. Certified organic and biodynamic.
The 2021 ripening season was met with our average rainfall for the first time in at least 3 vintages. Not only did McLaren Vale experience a wet winter, but also a luscious spring and a significantly cooler summer. This created magnificent ripening conditions from fruit set and flowering through veraison to final ripening. Yields were back up compared with the previous few vintages, coupled with arguably the best quality vintage so far this century. While vintage was long and drawn out, it created a relaxed picking environment and enabled superb balance of natural acidity, texture and tannin in the resulting wines.
Traditionally vinified in open top fermenters with indigenous yeast and minimal additions. Fermented for 12 days. Malolactic fermentation took place in stainless steel prior to maturation in older 300L French oak for nine months. Seasoned oak was selected for its minimal oak influence to keep the wine fresh and retain primary fruit characteristics.
- Light, bright cherry red
- A lifted nose displaying delicate spice of clove and nutmeg with some cherry notes at the fore.
Satsuma plums and sour cherry set the tone for this crunchy and vibrant wine. Firm tannins and refreshing acidity, coupled with bright fruit round out this medium-bodied beauty.
- Tempranillo 100%
- HARVEST DATE
- 18 March 2021
- OAK TREATMENT
- 9 months in older 300L French Oak Hogs Heads
- Alc: 13.5%, pH: 3.60, TA: 5.7g/L, GF: 0.45g/L
- 27 January 2022
2020 Hedonist Tempranillo
- TROPHY WINNER - Tony Mangan Memorial Award for Best Organic Wine of the show at the 2020 Australian Alternative Varieties Wine Show (AAVWS)
2019 Hedonist Tempranillo
- 90 points - therealreview.com, Huon Hooke, 13 Dec 2019
Very deep, bold purple/red colour, with pungent violet, blueberry and cranberry aromas, the palate fresh and bright, raw and primal, with an almost carbonic maceration or Beaujolais-like overtone. Excellent wine albeit in a rather raw, callow style.
2018 Hedonist Tempranillo
- 95 points - Wine Companion 2020 Edition, Jane Faulkner, 01 Aug 2019
“A terrific tempranillo that offsets its juicy red fruit profile against layers of savouriness. It's vibrant with cherry cola, fresh tobacco, red licorice and all manner of baking spices before crunchy acidity and killer tannins take off. Impressive from go to whoa.”
- Gold medal - Australian Alternative Varieties Wine Show 2018
2017 Hedonist Tempranillo
- Bronze medal - Australian Alternative Varieties Wine Show 2017
2015 Hedonist Tempranillo
- 94 points - Wine Companion 2018 Edition, James Halliday, 01 Aug 2017
"Includes 4% grenache, open-fermented, pumped over twice daily, 10-day ferment, pressed to used French hogsheads for 10 months maturation. Although the vines are young (7yo), this suggests the site has great potential. There is truly lovely cherry fruit on the fresh light to medium-bodied palate thanks in part to the controlled alcohol; the finish has gently savoury tannins that tie the parcel up ever so neatly."
2014 Hedonist Tempranillo
- 92 Points, The Advertiser, Tony Love - Top 100 (2016)
- Silver medal - Australian Alternative Varieties Wine Show 2015