$23.00 / bottle
$276.00 / case (12)
The fruit for the Hedonist Shiraz is estate grown on our certified organic/biodynamic vineyard situated in the Willunga foothills, McLaren Vale. The idyllic St Vincent’s Gulf lies 10km to the West. The soil is rich loam over clay with patches of underlying limestone, giving a richness and fullness of pallet.
A wet winter and spring set the vines up well for the season ahead. While there was some summer rain early on, disease pressure remained low. Flowering was late, but it didn’t lead to a later than usual harvest. Conditions were ideal for concentrated flavour development and acid retention.
Initially, there was some uneven ripening so we did a green harvest on some varieties – including Shiraz – to even it out. The Shiraz is a real highlight from this vintage, displaying a plethora of lively red fruits and spice.
Our Shiraz was harvested in stages commencing on 21st February. The blend comprises of several batches harvested over a period of 4 weeks. The grapes were crushed gently and then transferred to 10 tonne open top fermenters for between 8-12 days, with the exception of a small portion of the fruit which was fermented whole bunch and spent longer on skins.
Malolactic fermentation took place in oak – a mixture of old and a little new. Matured in oak for 12 months before final blending and bottling. No fining.
- Deep red with purple hues
- Raspberries, mulberries, cherries, a little leather and some cracked black peppercorns
- Lively red fruits follow through, matched with bright acidity. Juicy in the middle with a touch of nutmeg oak and fruit tannin giving exceptional balance and length.
- AGE OF VINES
- 20 years
- 2 tonne/acre
- OAK TREATMENT
- 20% new French Oak; 40% seasoned French Oak and 40% seasoned American Oak (300L) for 12 months
- Alc: 14.0%, pH: 3.58, TA: 6.42g/L, GF: 0.36g/L
2016 Hedonist Shiraz
- 94 points - Wine Companion 2019 Edition, James Halliday, 01 Aug 2018
"Destemmed, wild yeast open-fermented, 14 days on skins, fermentation completed in and 12 months maturation in new French oak, then a further 12 months maturation in used French oak. Deeply coloured; sophisticated winemaking has resulted in a full-bodied shiraz that will be very long lived, feeding on its balance and length, firm tannins that are nonetheless ripe one specific of its many building blocks. Gold medal International Shiraz Challenge '18 no surprise. Great value."
- Gold Medal - 2018 International Wine Competition
- 90 points - The Wine Front, Campbell Mattinson, 21 May 2018
"Grown biodynamically, matured in both French (20% new) and American oak, filtered but bottled unfined.
Sweet with fruit, laced with oak, slinky smooth without being syrupy. Nicely done. The flavour profile feels riper than its 14% alcohol would suggest, with slightly baked/tar-like characters evident, but superfine tannin, that texture, a raspberried brightness and good overall balance put the wine in a good drinking/performing place."
2015 Hedonist Shiraz
- 91 points - Wine Companion 2018 Edition, James Halliday, 01 Aug 2017
- 92 points - The Wine Front, Gary Walsh, 19 June 2017
"Not too familiar with this producer, but good wine in the glass. Juicy raspberry, cherry, spice and vanilla perfume. Medium bodied, again fresh and juicy, almost playful, but not without depth. Tannin is ripe and lightly chewy, acidity fresh and unobtrusive, and there’s a savoury spiced sausage thing going on as the wine closes. Great drink. So nicely turned out."
- Gold Medal - 2017 International Wine Competition
- Silver Medal - 2017 Decanter World Wine Awards - 90 points
- 92 points - Decanter Magazine (June 2017) - Alex Hunt MV, Roger Jones & Anthony Rose
"Firm, smokey note and a meaty texture - not classic McLaren Vale Shiraz but still intriguing, with real poise, balance and length."
2014 Hedonist Shiraz
- Gold Medal - The 2015 Great Australian Shiraz Challenge