$28.00 / bottle
$285.60 / case (12)
The Grenache is taken from two different blocks: 50-year-old vines in McLaren Flat and a younger parcel from Kangarilla. The Shiraz component hails from Blewitt Springs’ deep sandy soil, while the Mataro was also sourced from Kangarilla.
The 2021 ripening season was met with our average rainfall for the first time in at least 3 vintages. Not only did McLaren Vale experience a wet winter, but also a luscious spring and a significantly cooler summer. This created magnificent ripening conditions from fruit set and flowering through veraison to final ripening. Yields were back up compared with the previous few vintages, coupled with arguably the best quality vintage so far this century. While vintage was long and drawn out, it created a relaxed picking environment and enabled superb balance of natural acidity, texture and tannin in the resulting wines.
All the parcels were fermented with indigenous yeast and approximately 15% whole bunches (Grenache), then matured in seasoned French oak and a large format foudre for 12 months. The blend centres around the fruit forward Grenache, with shiraz supporting by adding to the middle palate, while the Mataro completes the blend, adding texture and a kick of spice.
- Bright crimson red
- Perfumed with lavender, blue fruits, fresh raspberry and a delicate cinnamon note
- Very approachable mid weight, velvety mouthfeel revealing raspberry and blue fruits, as well as more savoury spice, carried by superfine, moreish tannins.
- Grenache 68% | Shiraz 19% | Mataro 13%
- HARVEST DATE
- April 2021
- OAK TREATMENT
- Seasoned French oak and a large format French oak foudre for 12 months
- 14% vol, pH: 3.44, TA: 6.0g/L, GF: 0.77g/L
2021 Hedonist GSM is yet to be submitted for review or entered in any shows.