$25.00 / bottle
$255.00 / case (12)
The fruit for the Hedonist Cabernet is grown biodynamically on our own vineyard situated in the Willunga foothills, McLaren Vale. Warm Summer days are cooled by evening sea breezes from St Vincent’s Gulf, which lies a close proximity to the West. The soil is rich loam over clay with patches of underlying limestone, giving the wine a rich and fullness of pallet.
A very dry winter and spring, coupled with record heat and dry conditions throughout summer led to an early and condensed vintage. Yields were only slightly down on previous years despite the challenges associated with low rainfall in the growing season. January was Australia’s warmest on record. McLaren Vale experienced record heat – 46.2 degrees Celsius on the 24 January. The conditions lent themselves to smaller berries with good concentration of flavour.
Harvested in two batches late March/early April, the parcels were fermented separately – for 12 days and 33 days respectively. Once malolactic fermentation was completed in stainless steel tanks, the batches were racked into 50% French Oak foudre (2-year-old) and 50% seasoned French oak hogs heads for 18 months for maturation.
- Deep ruby red
- An expressive nose of mulberries, blueberries, cassis, liquorice, and a hint of dried herbs and earthy truffle.
- Displays classic hints of chocolate, dark red and black berries with some savoury earthy notes and spice woven in. Bright acidity with firm, cocoa tannins achieves a long, lingering finish.
- AGE OF VINES
- 23 years
- HARVEST DATE
- 13 March 2019, 16 March 2019
- OAK TREATMENT
- 50% French Oak foudre (2-year-old) and 50% seasoned French oak hogs heads for 18 months
- BOTTLING DATE
- 12 February 2021
- Alc: 14%, pH: 3.43, TA: 6.9g/L, GF: 1.35g/L
2017 Hedonist Cabernet Sauvignon
- 92 points - Wine Companion 2020 Edition, Jane Faulkner, 01 Aug 2019
“Cassis and blackberries vie for centre stage, it's a brightly fruited wine seasoned with dried herbs, oak spices and plenty of appeal.”
2016 Hedonist Cabernet Sauvignon
- 94 points - Wine Companion 2019 Edition, James Halliday, 01 Aug 2018
"Harvested in two batches on 29 Feb and 5 Mar, fermented separately for 8 and 27 days respectively, matured in French oak (15% new) for 18 months. Interesting wine. The length of fermentation and the gap between pickings have produced a medium-bodied, savoury wine with just a hint of minty/wintergreen, outweighed by the freshness and cassis flavours of the long palate - all in all, cool climate references."
2014 Hedonist Cabernet Sauvignon
- 90 points - The Wine Front, Gary Walsh
- Bronze Medal - Decanter International Wine Show