$26.00 / bottle
$265.20 / case (12)
The fruit for the Hedonist Cabernet is estate grown on our certified organic and biodynamic vineyard situated in the Willunga foothills of McLaren Vale. The idyllic St Vincent’s Gulf lies 10km to the West. The soil is rich loam over clay with patches of underlying limestone.
The 2021 ripening season was met with our average rainfall for the first time in at least 3 vintages. Not only did McLaren Vale experience a wet winter, but also a luscious spring and a significantly cooler summer. This created magnificent ripening conditions from fruit set and flowering through version to final ripening. Yields were back up compared with the previous few vintages, coupled with arguably the best quality vintage so far this century. While vintage was long and drawn out, it created a relaxed picking environment and enabled superb balance of natural acidity, texture and tannin in the resulting wines.
Harvested in late March from our estate vineyard. Destemmed and fermented without crushing, maintaining some whole berry fermentation. A cool ferment was maintained utilising indigenous yeast for 12 days on skins. It was then racked into 85% French Oak foudre (3-year-old) and 15% new French oak puncheons for 15 months, where malolactic fermentation and maturation took place prior to bottling. No fining.
- Deep ruby red
- Briary notes, truffles and a hint of nutmeg
Mulberries with chocolate and subtle nutmeg undertones. A generous middle palate, with long, proud tannins augment the structure and builds texture.
- Cabernet Sauvignon 100%
- AGE OF VINES
- 27 years
- HARVEST DATE
- 26 March 2021
- OAK TREATMENT
- 85% French Oak foudre (3-year-old) and 15% new French oak puncheons for 15 months
- Alc: 14% vol, pH: 3.55, TA: 6.7g/L, GF: 0.88g/L
2017 Hedonist Cabernet Sauvignon
- 92 points - Wine Companion 2020 Edition, Jane Faulkner, 01 Aug 2019
“Cassis and blackberries vie for centre stage, it's a brightly fruited wine seasoned with dried herbs, oak spices and plenty of appeal.”
2016 Hedonist Cabernet Sauvignon
- 94 points - Wine Companion 2019 Edition, James Halliday, 01 Aug 2018
"Harvested in two batches on 29 Feb and 5 Mar, fermented separately for 8 and 27 days respectively, matured in French oak (15% new) for 18 months. Interesting wine. The length of fermentation and the gap between pickings have produced a medium-bodied, savoury wine with just a hint of minty/wintergreen, outweighed by the freshness and cassis flavours of the long palate - all in all, cool climate references."
2014 Hedonist Cabernet Sauvignon
- 90 points - The Wine Front, Gary Walsh
- Bronze Medal - Decanter International Wine Show
- NEW Hi-Res bottle image
- Hi-Res bottle image
- Tasting notes (2021 vintage)
- Tasting notes (2020 vintage)
- Tasting notes (2019 vintage)
- Tasting notes (2018 vintage)
- Tasting notes (2017 vintage)
- Tasting notes (2016 vintage)
- Tasting notes (2015 vintage)
- Tasting notes (2014 vintage)
- Tasting notes (2012 vintage)