Out of stock
The fruit for the Hedonist Reserve Shiraz comes from an organic/biodynamic certified vineyard from Kangarilla, McLaren Vale. Producing a slightly cooler climate expression of McLaren Vale fruit due predominantly to its higher altitude.
2015 was one of our earliest starts to vintage ever. After a wet winter and dry spring things started moving quickly in McLaren Vale. Calm and smooth ripening prevailed after the fortunate relenting heat in January. The end of January brought with it rain, which helped to balance out the berry development and thus retaining the natural acidity. Luckily, disease pressure was low to non-existent due to cool evenings and the strong sea breeze.
The early and quick nature of the season made it logistically challenging to manage the intake of all of the fruit, which ripened at the same time. Quality however was paramount – Shiraz is a real standout variety from this vintage, exhibiting an abundance of vibrant red to black fruits and spice, with exceptional colour, richness and balance.
Fermented with indigenous yeast after gentle destemming – no crushing. Fermentation continued at up to 24 degrees Centigrade to retain as much primary fruit freshness as possible. The ferment was lightly pressed after 14 days on skin. Fermentation was completed in 100% carefully selected new French Oak for 12 months before being racked into seasoned French oak for an additional 12 months. True to it’s 'Reserve' title, this wine is only released when we deem it has achieved a certain calibre.
Minimal Sulphur added. No fining.
- Deep red with crimson hues
- Mostly dark berries, dark chocolate, cinnamon spice and a hint of violet shining through
- Full-bodied and bursting with black fruits, dark chocolate, licorice and there’s a touch of cured meat. Velvety tannins and a long finish.
- 1 tonne/acre
- OAK TREATMENT
- 100% new French Oak for 12 months + an additional 12 months in seasoned French oak
- Shiraz 100%
- Alc: 14.5%, pH: 3.59, pH: 6.47, GF: 0.84g/L
2015 Hedonist reserve Shiraz
2012 Hedonist Reserve Shiraz
- Gold medal - 2016 Melbourne International Wine Competition
- 94 points - Wine Companion 2017 Edition, James Halliday, Aug 2016